In the Q+A session today, there was a bit of discussion about 1-2-1 techniques. Here’s some info I can pass on from my time in BNI. I had 3 written materials that I’d give to a person before we met for coffee – these would allow them to get to know me more quickly and make the meeting more productive. One of these was answering 8 questions:
1) Who is your target audience?
2) What problems do you solve?
3) How do you benefit your target audience in ways others do not?
4) How do I recognize a good referral for you?
4) What should I say when I recognize a good referral?
5) Do you have a success story I can tell possible referrals?
7) How do I make the connection? i.e. introduction, you call them/they call you.
8) What is your 10-second introduction?
You may not want to use these questions directly – they are designed for 2 networkers to get to know each other, but the idea is the same…
Another might be a bio of you and your company. Another might be a sample newsletter. ETC. Mainly, during a 121 you are working to learn more about the other person than yourself – about them personally, about their family, about their “pain points” (IE: what do they struggle with in their business or job). Building some personal connection and comfort. You are NOT trying to sell yourself or your business at these times – at least not directly. Really, you are working to learn how YOU can help THEM.